Welcome to the Hobbs Family Blog.

Hope you enjoy looking at pictures of our family.

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Gardening

Landscaping at the Hobbs'

We have been doing a lot of landscaping around the yard. We have a long way to go, but the whole family is helping. As you can see, even Trenton wanted to help.
Ashley, Matthew and Jared were helping bring bricks to me as I laid them around the flower beds.
Paul's Therapeutic Gardening (Trying to create a Green Thumb)
This is my first year trying to garden (emphasis on trying). I'm not sure how well I'm doing. Our Elder's Quorum had an activity to encourage members in our neighborhood to plant a garden. The following pictures show what our garden looks like.
Corn -yum. I have about six rows of corn. The first three were planted in May and the last three in June. That's why there are some that are taller than the others.

Red Potatoes - My dad came down for Ashley's Graduation and told me that I needed to hill the potatoes. I mentioned that my back was hurting and he grabbed the hoe and hilled them for me. Thanks DAD.

Here are the tomatoes and pepper plants. The peppers have not been having a good year. We had a late winter storm on June 11th. They are still struggling. The tomatoes are looking good. A little small, but I have a couple of tomatoes on the plant. YAHOO!!! I didn't take a picture of the cucumbers because they have also been struggling. They are really small. I'll take a picture later when they look better.

Here is the lettuce. Once again I planted them a month a part. Hopefully we will harvest lettuce the whole summer
Here are the onions. They are looking good.
And finally, the one I'm most excited about. My strawberries. I planted twelve plants, and only 5 survived. I have two with fruit on it. If you look closely, the red under the leaf is a strawberry.
It's been surprising how therapeutic gardening can be. Except keeping the children out of the big sand box. There at it again, "Hey get out of there. Stop throwing the dirt and rocks." Got to go. Paul

2 comments:

Craig and Maggie said...

That looks like a great garden! How big is your yard? That looks a little bigger than your average lot size.

Susan and Scott said...

I can't believe you are actually gardening. You should come do ours next year. P.S. Thanks for the idea of the Christmas light outlets in our eaves.